Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is that a cough?

This week, Caedmon has been coughing. I let it go for a day to watch him, but when he continued, I called the pediatrician to find out what to do for him. It didn't sound deep, and he seemed to feel fine. The nurse gave me tips on what to do to help break up any congestion from a cold, and told me what to watch for...but warned me that sometimes babies cough just because they figure out that they can.

So, our little guy kept coughing - and I watched him - and after a few days, noticed a pattern. He rarely coughed while sleeping, and was fine as long as he was entertained. But if I put him in his swing our bouncy seat while I made dinner or washed dishes, he got bored and it wasn't long before he would start it up!

I do think he had a little bit of congestion, maybe from allergies; perhaps that got him started. But he's picking up new "skills" quickly, so once he figured out how to cough, it was a fun new little trick to practice! I'm just thankful he's not actually feeling sick. And pretty sure he's going to have quite a sense of humor...can you tell it by the look on his face?


We also put together his "big boy" stroller this week. He's not quite big enough to hold himself up well enough to use it on our errands yet, but I think we're getting close! He was content to stroll a few laps around the house, and really inspected the warning label for me.