Thursday, April 9, 2009

A few of our favorite things...

It was a bittersweet moment when we realized that Caedmon's Pooh-jamas (a light blue footed sleeper with Pooh and Tigger, and little Pooh faces on the toes) are truly too small (correction: too short) for him. We rejoice to see him growing, and thank God for his healthy little body! But when we received the Pooh-jamas from Caedmon's Gramma, his little toes didn't even reach the feet. Now his feet are longer than the foot in the jammies and they stretch whenever he straightens his legs, and the sleeves are about halfway to his elbow when he sleeps (with his arms up over his head.) This particular sleeper has been a favorite - it's so cute on him! - so it's sad that he can't wear it anymore.



But thinking about the Pooh-jamas today has given me the opportunity to reflect on other things that are current "favorites," and as I made a mental list, I realized that many of these things are also temporary and will eventually be outgrown.  So Caedmon, for the present, I thank the Lord for:
1.  Waking up in the morning to hear you "talking" in your crib as you look around in wonder and relief that the light has returned, bringing with it your familiar surroundings.
2.  Getting to go get you out of your crib in the morning, and seeing your face light up as you wave your arms and kick with excitement.
3.  Changing your clothes and you relishing the "freedom" by getting in as much wiggling and kicking as possible before the new outfit is on.
4.  Watching you wake up from a good nap - as you wiggle, then open your eyes...then see my face...and finally give me a sweet, sleepy, almost bashful little grin.
5.  Our post-mealtime conversations.  You have a completely different voice at this time, and gurgle and coo so softly while looking directly into my eyes.  Your eyes and face seem to tell me that you understand me completely when I make the same sounds back.
6.  Naps that you take in my arms.  This used to happen a lot - I could rock you at any time of the day or night and it would soothe you to sleep.  You want to be so alert and awake now!  I relish the opportunities to hold you while you sleep.
7.  Playtime!  When we sing silly songs and play with our hands and toes you smile as big as you can, and occasionally even laugh out loud.
8.  Your hair...for some reason, the top is growing longer but the sides are staying the same.  And it's definitely got some red in it!
9.  Bedtime.  When we put you in your bed and say your prayers with you, you watch us with wide eyes.  I sing to you, and you grab my finger with your hand and keep watching intently.  It's so hard to leave - I want to stay and watch you too!  But I leave, and you find your thumb and settle into sleep.
10.  Your curiousity.  Now that you can see more clearly, you are quite the little observer.  I love seeing you take note of new things (like the cat) at watching you stretch and lean and crane your neck to take in as much as possible of the world around you.
I should probably stop at 10, at least for tonight.  But the list keeps growing.  Thank you, Lord, for showing us Your fingerprints - evidence of Your loving, creative design abounds in even the smallest of Your children!