Friday, November 13, 2015

Adventurers at heart

Although it's been evident since they were very small, we are seeing more and more adventure, experimentation, and stretching of previous boundaries lately with all the boys.  They are in a phase of climbing and jumping off of everything we pass, creating catapults with old lumber and buckets in the backyard, and getting really, really dirty.

They were recently inspired, after all the rain, to put even more water in the sandbox and turn it into a mud wallow.  I let them go, and they had a ball - slipping, slopping, and splashing.  



After all that play, though, they were too dirty to even come in the house for their bath, so they got a pre-bath washing with warm water in a tub in the yard.  Luke was not so sure about what was going on!  He even had sand caked on the top of his head; I'm pretty sure he had help with that.

 
As the third boy, Luke is trying to grow up as fast as his brothers, which usually means he's climbing jungle gyms and other playground equipment to keep up their pace.  He thinks he's so big - and he is! One night this week I noticed how tight his pajamas were getting and asked him if he was growing so big - his response (while flexing his muscles) was, "Yes, so strong and so mighty!" Then he jumped into my arms, "I love you so much Mama!"

 
I love these nature-loving boys!  For Halloween, Caedmon dressed up as a snow adventurer (completely his idea - his construction worker costume had somehow gotten lost and he needed a new costume right away.  Knowing candy was on the line, he improvised quickly!) Luke has had a lot of fun with this giraffe costume, and Isaac put together his own costume to be his favorite TV adventurer, Chris of the Wild Kratts.



We took the boys to a park to take family pictures recently.  In the car on the way, we were preparing them to give their best smiles and told them we'd like to hang the portrait in our home.  Isaac asked, "Mama, when I am grown up, can I have one of these pictures to hang in my house?" I replied that he would be welcome to do so. "Do you think my wife will like it?"  I told him that I was sure his wife would tell him what a cute boy he was when he was 5 years old.  He blushed and giggled delightedly.


Every night we sing songs with the boys.  Caedmon has learned some new songs at school that he's enjoyed sharing with us, and Luke surprised us recently with his own request.  He told us "I want a song from my Sunday School."  We asked him to start singing and he began "Praise Him, Praise Him, All Ye Little Children." We sang it together, then he told me in his most serious voice, "I eat goldfish at my Sunday school" while nodding vigorously.   His teacher is a family friend who told us that the first week of class, he was very unsure about being there without us, but after seeing the routine,  was more content the second week and after playing for a few minutes, stood up and announced loudly, "Time for goldfish!"
Posted by Picasa