Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Two Peas in a Pod

As we watch the boys growing up together it's clear that the difference in their ages is starting to be less and less of a hindrance in their ability to interact. Caedmon is still stretching his wings in all sorts of new ways - he figured out this morning how to climb up and stand on the windowsill in his room, facing the window. (Now he has to figure out how to get down by himself!) But Isaac is watching his every move and imitating a lot of what he observes.

A couple of weeks ago the boys had a wonderful afternoon of play in the backyard. Caedmon disassembled is tee-ball tee and was using the post as a bat, tossing the ball with one hand then swinging with the other.

Soon he grew tired of that, though, and dropped his ball and "bat." Isaac was right there to pick them up...it's clear from the look on his face that he was really pondering what to do with them, and recalling the demonstration he'd just observed! In the end, he had the right idea, and the necessary eye-hand coordination will come with time.

I just love watching these two guys playing together!

Again, Caedmon takes the lead and steps up to the plate after re-assembling his tee. Isaac was right there in the action - but thankfully not too close - his brother has quite a wind-up.

Another example of "stretching our wings..." Caedmon has figured out how to get up onto the rock columns in the backyard. Once up, how does a little boy get back down? Only one way. He braced himself and counted to three, then counted to three again, and again, probably eight or ten times, then finally leaped off the column. He landed, realized he was all in one piece, and immediately did it again - with much less counting.

Caedmon has become quite the little vocabulary coach for Isaac, as well. He's picked up on our questions to Isaac and now I frequently hear, "Hey Isaac, can you say 'drink?' Say, 'drink.' Can you say, 'digger?' Can you say, 'excagator?' Can you say, 'fiwer truck?'" (Caedmon still has some interesting pronunciations - "fiwer" for "fire" and "craown" for "crayon," to name a few, which makes it that much more delightful for us to hear his instructions.)

Isaac is making tremendous strides in his communication. Who wouldn't, with such an earnest teacher? I've been impressed lately with his mini-sentences. One morning when Daniel took Caedmon to school, he looked at me and said, "A-mon? Dada. A-mon? Dada." My translation: "Where is Caedmon? He went with Dada." Or he'll say "Dada...wuk." (Dada went to work.)

He has also learned somewhat how to tell me what happens when my back is turned. I left the boys playing with blocks yesterday and Isaac cried out as I was walking away. As I turned I saw a block launched in his direction as he followed me, holding his head, crying, and saying, "bump!" I asked Caedmon why Isaac was crying. Up until very recently Caedmon has been very honest, even if that meant he would be in trouble. He's figured that out, though, so although I could see in his eyes that he was guilty, he made up something about Isaac falling down. I asked Isaac where he got bumped and he rubbed his head, saying "head!" I asked him what bumped his head, and he showed me the blocks and said "boks!" then pointed to Caedmon, "A-mon!" Seems pretty clear to me!

It's so neat to see how those little minds work, though! My car battery died this week, and after dropping Caedmon off at school Daniel had to come back home and help me. I ended up taking him back to work and picking up Caedmon in his car. When I explained to him that my car was at home and we were in Dada's car, he thought about it for just a minute then asked, "Did Dada walk to work?" Then I asked him what we should do to fix my car and he said, "Take it to the car shop." And I reminded him that the car battery was dead and it wouldn't go, so how could we take it to the shop? His solution: "Put it on a trailer of a big rig!" He was probably disappointed that didn't actually happen!