Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A few tidbits...

It seems every day, at least once, we have some sort of "incident" that makes me think, "Oh, I need to blog about that!" So I'm finally getting around to recording a handful of those little stories and conversations!

A few weeks ago I made smoothies for the boys' afternoon snack. Caedmon was finishing his and as he tilted his cup to get the last bit out, it ran out down his chin and shirt. He was upset and after I wiped him off with a towel, declared, "I need to go take a shower!" He ran off to the bathroom while I cleaned up the floor and I could hear water running in the sink. There is a step stool for the boys to use when they wash their hands so the sound of water running wasn't unusual. A minute later when I peeked in to see if he needed help, I was a bit shocked to see Caedmon standing up in the tiny sink, totally undressed, splashing water on himself! Hygiene had reached a new level of importance I guess!

We've been having construction on one end of our street the last few weeks, so that intersection has been completely blocked off and has been a source of much fascination for our neighbors, especially the children, with lots of construction equipment, piles of dirt and rocks, and cement. One evening I visited for a while with a family that was passing by our house on their way to check out "the hole," as we have been calling it. Their daughter is close to Caedmon's age, and as they left our house to continue their trek to the hole, she said, "Mommy, let's go see the bear caves!" Caedmon looked at me with wide eyes and said, "I want to go see the bear caves!!" I started to explain, confused, that there were no caves, and certainly no bears, when the other mother clarified..."She's talking about the barricades." Oh. It stuck, though...since then we still go see the "bear caves."

And our Isaac is around the age that Caedmon was when he really latched on to Doug, so I've been waiting to see if he'll have an attachment to any of his toys or blankets. I'm really starting to think that he won't, but instead comforts and soothes himself by rubbing his little belly! When he's tired and sucking his thumb or trying to sleep in his bed, he usually has his other hand under his shirt and rubbing his tummy. He was a bit frustrated a while back when I put him in a one-piece outfit, so it will be interesting to see if he'll tolerate the little footie pajamas I usually put on them in the winter - I may have to find something in two pieces!