Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sweet little words

It's amazing how the sweet little words we hear coming from the mouths of our sons can touch our hearts in different ways. Isaac just started saying "night-night" (or, more accurately, "nie-nie.") It is hard to believe he's already forming these words and understanding when to use them! He also, much to my amusement, has begun making the sputtering sound of a car when he sees them outside as well as when he pushes little toy cars around the house. How does he know? I caught a photo of our little big boy in good spirits after eating a bunch of hummus - all by himself, of course.


One day last week I asked Caedmon what he wanted for a snack after he woke up from his nap, just like I always do. He looked at me, said, "Cookies?" then turned, shaking his head and walking away. He said, "No, no more cookies for Caedmon and Dada at his house. All gone. Cookies at GrammaJanet and GrampaDude's house." Now, it has been a while since we've had cookies, and he did have them most recently at his grandparents house - but while I was certainly amused at his comment, I was also a little bit ashamed at depriving my child of such a simple treat! He picked out some cookies on our grocery shopping trip the next day. (Here he is, first thing in the morning - he spied the camera and wanted to "see" himself. I'm glad he did, this photo makes me smile, too!)


He's also become quite the "helper" for the rest of us. He's started selecting my "play clothes" for me in the morning, knowing just where to go for my summer outfits, and will bring Daniel and me our shoes..."Here, Mama, here's your shoes" and then try to help us put them on. Or, if I'm making food in the kitchen, he'll say, "Be careful, Mama, with that sharp knife" or "Be careful, Mama, that stove is hot." What a precious little one!