Friday, August 28, 2009

"Not in your mouth!"

Caedmon has been one busy guy lately. His crawling skills are improving rapidly; although he's still pulling himself on his tummy, he's going wherever he wants! He has escaped his room a few times now - I left him playing to go to the kitchen or, in this case, our bedroom, and he set out after me! He was excited to make it out into the hallway, giggling and "talking" as he got closer.

This morning was beautiful outside, and Caedmon was looking particularly big-boyish in his overalls, so we spent some time outside and I snapped a few (okay, more than a few) photos of him. For a very short time, he was the perfect subject and sat, smiling at me, while I photographed him. But then...

...Andre intervened, drawing Caedmon's attention away from me. He walked right up to him, let Caedmon touch him, and then calmly walked way. That is very out of character; Andre knows that Caedmon will grab and pull fur, whiskers, tail, paws, anything he can reach. He does not purposefully get within reach of those tiny fingers!

After Andre moved on, Caedmon was ready to play our new game..."not in your mouth!" Of course babies put everything in their mouth, that is nothing new. But the last few times we've gone outside, Caedmon will pick up leaves, vines, rocks, whatever, and after inspecting them for a short time, will put them in his mouth. I take them out and tell him "not in your mouth!" Once this has happened a time or two, he starts thinking it's funny and will hold something in both hands so that as soon as I get one of the things away from his mouth, he giggles, and hurries to put the other object in before I can stop him.

Note the amused expression in this next photo. He knows I'm about to jump up and remove the leaves and vine from his mouth, as I'd already done so several times!